Off-campus access to electronic resources
Authentication for electronic resources
Access to all the online resources the Hertie School Library has to offer – full-text articles, eJournals, eBooks, article and other databases – is a service provided by available only to faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students of the Hertie School due to licensing and copyright agreements with vendors and publishers.
On-campus locations already have access to library resources, as long as you are hardwired into the campus network. If you are using a computer on campus that is connected to a Hertie School IP address, you will be connected automatically to library electronic resources and no further authentication is required.
Off-Campus access using VPN
As a current Hertie School student, faculty member, or employee, you may access our licensed resources from off-campus by first connecting to the Hertie School’s VPN using the FortiClient VPN system, provided by the Hertie School’s IT department. The VPN, or Virtual Private Network, allows you to create a secure connection to the Hertie School’s network when you are not on campus.
How it works:
- Download and install the FortiClient VPN software.
- Connect to the FortiClient on your computer before you begin your search.
- Visit the library’s website to use the EBSCO Discovery Tool and access all databases.
- As a security measure, disconnect the FortiClient when you are finished with your searches.
The FortiClient VPN software is available only to members of the Hertie School community. For more information on the VPN client and its installation, please visit the VPN client’s Moodle page.
If you have troubles installing the FortiClient VPN software, please contact the IT team.
Access databases licensed by the Hertie School.
Library user account
- Login credentials:
- Username for students: The number 4380 plus your matriculation number (example: 4380 + sample matriculation number 123456 = library account username 4380123456)
- Default password for students: Your date of birth in DDMMYY format (example: date of birth 20.08.1999 = password 200899)
- Username for staff members: Barcode number on the back of your Hertie School ID card or your library account user number
- Default password for staff members: 1) 010100 OR 2) the first three letters of your surname (uncapitalised)
- Please login and change the password ASAP.
More about the library
The Hertie School is an institution of higher learning committed to academic excellence. The library team sees it as its responsibility to equip students and faculty with the necessary tools for their academic research. We try to accomplish this goal by providing our library users with access to electronic resources from everywhere on campus. Relevant articles from journals, such as the European Journal of Political Research or Journal of Public Policy, are just a mouse click away. The library offers access to a long list of databases, the most prominent being EconLit, Lexis Nexis, and JSTOR. Beyond online databases, the library team is constantly developing and building other research resources such as a print collection, which offers important literature on policy, law, and economy. The online catalogue is growing daily and offers students an overview of the library collections.
The Library and Information Services (LIS) of the Hertie School is located on the first floor (1. OG) of the campus. A reading room is attached to the library for students and others who seek a calm and quiet place to work. The library and the reading room also offer a number of communal network points available to students to plug in their laptops in order to access the internet after authentication. Students at the Hertie School have the advantage of an innovative research infrastructure combined with a committed library team, who are constantly busy developing and improving educational and research opportunities.